You may not have noticed but there is a rash of fires being caused by air dryer vents at the Houston area recently. Actually, there was a great article on the topic with Houston Fire Department officials stating that fire fighters respond to many fires every month caused by lint build-up. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) claims in the U.S., fires brought on by drier vents have surpassed those caused by chimneys. All things considered, these are some very alarming statistics.
Among the contributing factors to air duct fires is that the configurations of lengthier vents in newer homes. Home builders utilized to install drier vents which were just a few feet . Now they’re installing vents which are anywhere from 15-30ft long. In some cases, the clothes dryers are installed on the next floor that requires more bends at the port pipes than previously. The problem is very dangerous since the longer, progressively bent drier vent pipes are not capable to emit the lint and excess debris beyond the wall of your property clean dryer vent.
Another variable is the PVC plastic piping which was utilized before. Since Magnesium has a very, very low flash point, even lower a bit of paper, it’s highly flammable and may be ignited by a small spark. If the dryer port gets clogged and the engine happens to be near the dryer opening, any little the lint could ignite. Rigid metal and elastic aluminum vents are used by contractors and electricians when installing dryer vents because they can work as a radiant heat barrier and contain flames for as many as five minutes that gives emergency services time to respond usually.
According to the Community Association Underwriters of America, homeowners must follow these guidelines for appropriate air duct maintenance and cleaning.
1. If the filter has been ripped it should be replaced because the lint may fall in the dryer.
2. The lint filter should be washed with soap and water regularly in order to get rid of any residue left behind by fabric softener sheets.
3. Homeowners are invited to inspect and clean outside wall dampers frequently.
4. Lint that falls behind and under your dryer ought to be vacuumed regularly.
5. They need to also disconnect and clean the dryer duct and venting each couple of decades. If the clothes drier is utilized more often or there are more vent pipes then it should be cleaned annually. The CUA proposes hiring an expert dryer vent cleaning company to perform this service if you are not able to.
6. Your clothes dryer should be serviced and cleaned by an expert, factory-authorized service representative each two to three decades.
A few other tips include avoiding placing any type of material which has swallowed any flammable liquid in the clothes drier and Never allow your clothes drier run while you are out of the home or asleep. Air dryer vent and clothes dryer fires are going up and your nearest and dearest will love every step you take to avoid a flame.
We Care about Your Air!